Cricket World Cup is a marquee international event that takes place at an interval of every 4 years. Cricket enthusiasts and experts do get lots of excited regarding this tournament which takes place for a span of 45 days at a stretch.
Since cricket is the second most followed popular global sport around the world, the anticipation regarding this event always remains at its peak. The tournament started in the year 1975 and that time the match was played for 60 overs perside. It was in the year 1987 the match saw reduction in its overs which came around 50 overs per side. However, ODI World Cup Betting has picked up pace, very recently.
Another interesting fact about this grand event is that in the year 2007, Australia became the first international side to win three consecutive world cup titles at a stretch. Prior to that it was the men from the Caribbean who won consecutive world titles i.e. in 1975 and 1978 respectively.
10 Interesting Facts about ODI Cricket World Cup
We will discuss the ten amazing facts that have been recorded since the inception of this grand event.
1. The Unlucky Trio
In the very first pointer, we are discussing some of the interesting facts regarding the history of the CWC tournament that took place in the last 3 decades..
- The Sri Lankan cricket team has never ever beaten the Pakistan cricket team at a world cup league stage match (stats till 2023).
- The next fact that comes up in our mind is that India has never lost a 50 over match to their arch-rival Pakistan in CWC world cup since its beginning.
- Lastly, India has never consecutively beaten the Proteas in an international marquee tournament like the world cup.
2. South Africa Another Name for Unlucky
The Proteas never won any matches especially in the knockout stage be it in the semi final of 2015 or that of 1999 CWC mega event.
- Another staggering fact about the proteas(South Africa) is that they are the only team apart from the Kiwis who never ever won the world cup trophy.
- That is why the other name of the South African national side is that of the chokers.
3. Good and Bad Times About Shahid Afridi in CWC events
Some interesting facts about Shahid Afridi in the CWC events is that he never scored any half century as a batsman. As a bowler, Afridi has picked up the most number of four wicket hauls.
4. Ponting’s Cricket Charisma
- Ricky Ponting the former captain of Australian national side has played the most number of matches i.e. 46 in number.
- At the same time, as a fielder he has pouched most number of catches i.e. 28 in number.
5. The Pigeon’s Stride
- The Australian legendary fast bowler Glenn McGrath has picked up the most number of wickets in this international marquee event i.e. 71 wickets.
- He also holds the best bowling figures of 7 for 15 against Namibia especially in the year 2003.
6. The Youngest Batsman in the History of CWC Event
Nitish Kumar from Canada is the youngest batsman to play in the cricket world cup history. He was 16 years 283 days when he participated in this grandeur league event.
7. Tendulkar Mania
Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar is the only batsman who has scored the most number of runs in a tournament like CWC i.e. of 2278.
He also has the most number of centuries like that of six in numbers. In the 1996 world cup he scored 523 runs in total, whereas, in 2003 world cup he has scored around 673 runs.
8. Most Runs Ever Scored By a Team in the CWC Events
India vs England is the only match of the CWC event till date where both India and England scored 338 runs. In a single international match a total of 676 runs were scored just to end the match in a draw.
9. AB De Villiers Charisma
AB De Villiers goes by the name of MR 360 and has some mighty impressive records when it comes to the CWC tournaments. He has scored more than three international centuries from the 15 world cup matches. Also, at a stretch he got out on duck for more than four times.
10. Sangakkara’s Final Heave
Kumar Sangakkara the most successful captain of the Sri Lankan national team just after Arjuna Rantunga had scored around 991 runs in the World cup history alongside 46 dismissals to his name.
He is regarded as one of the best wicket keepers from the Asian subcontinent particularly when it comes to CWC events.
We can clearly conclude that these are not the interesting world cup stats till date since the inception of this event. Rather more can be expected from the upcoming CWC 2023 event. The 2023 cricket world cup tournament may come up with some interesting stats that may change the fate of this gentlemen’s game.You may also like:
- 1Win Payment Options in India: Easily Deposit Money with 1Win
- Pin Up – A Reliable Betting Platform with up-to-date Odds and a Vast Selection of Events
- Is the Art of Handcrafted Watches Losing Ground to Automation?
- Fairplay India Review – Register | Bonuses | Deposit
- Elevating Game Development: The Impact of 3D Animation Services
- Melbet India – Sports betting site
- The Incredible Kumar Sangakkara
- Smartphones – The Magic That Has Changed Our Daily Lives
- The Revolution of Online Casino Software Technology: Pioneering Innovations in Digital Gambling
- What Affects Fast Withdrawals in Online Casinos?