Nmap (Network Mapper) is a security scanner, originally written by Gordon Lyon used to discover hosts and services on a computer network, thus building a “map” of the network.
Typical uses of Nmap:
- Auditing the security of a device or firewall by identifying the network connections which can be made to, or through it.
- Identifying open ports on a target host in preparation for auditing.
- Network inventory, network mapping, maintenance and asset management.
- Auditing the security of a network by identifying new servers.
- Generating traffic to hosts on a network, response analysis and response time measurement.
- Finding and exploiting vulnerabilities in a network.
It’s an irony that in the digital world paper books are still held in incredibly high regard. Many have opinions but getting into print carries prestige. Here are the top 5 books to read this year for #Nmap lovers.
Don’t Miss: NMapGUI – Advanced Graphical Version of Nmap
1. Nmap in the Enterprise: Your Guide to Network Scanning
Author – Angela Orebaugh and Becky Pinkard
Amazon Link – https://www.amazon.com/Nmap-Enterprise-Guide-Network-Scanning/dp/1597492418/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Price – $18.45 to $56.89
2. Nmap 6: Network Exploration and Security Auditing Cookbook
Author – Paulino Calderón Pale
Buy Link – https://www.packtpub.com/networking-and-servers/nmap-6-network-exploration-and-security-auditing-cookbook
Price – $18.90 to $44.99
3. Nmap Essentials
Author – David Shaw
Buy Link – https://www.packtpub.com/networking-and-servers/nmap-essentials
Price – $14.00 to $24.99
4. Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
Author – Gordon Fyodor Lyon
Buy Link – https://www.amazon.com/dp/0979958717?tag=secbks-20
Price – $37.73
5. Nmap 6 Cookbook: The Fat Free Guide to Network Security Scanning
Author – Nicholas Marsh
Buy Link – https://www.amazon.com/Nmap-Cookbook-Network-Security-Scanning/dp/1507781385/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1508864445&sr=1-8&keywords=Nmap
Price – $19.98