PHP is a recursive acronym that stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor; this is in the naming style of GNU, which stands for GNU’s Not Unix and which began this odd trend. The name isn’t a particularly good description of what PHP is and what it’s commonly used for.
PHP is a scripting language that’s usually embedded or combined with the HTML of a web page. When the page is requested, the web server executes the PHP script and substitutes in the result back into the page. PHP has many excellent libraries that provide fast, customized access to DBMSs and is an ideal tool for developing application logic in the middle tier of a three-tier application.
PHP is an open source project of the Apache Software Foundation and it’s the most popular Apache web server add-on module, with around 53% of the Apache HTTP servers having PHP capabilities. PHP is particularly suited to web database applications because of its integration tools for the Web and database environments.
In particular, the flexibility of embedding scripts in HTML pages permits easy integration of HTML presentation and code. The database tier integration support is also excellent, with more than 15 libraries available to interact with almost all popular database servers.
In this article, we listed out the best PHP books which are as listed below:
1. Functional Programming in PHP · 2nd Edition
This book is for anyone that has an interest in functional programming or PHP as an advanced programming language.
- Buy Link – https://www.phparch.com/books/functional-programming-in-php/?utm_source=functionalphpcom2nded&utm_medium=cta_button&utm_campaign=buy_the_book
- Digital Price – $22 USD and Print Price – $29 USD
- Total Pages – 162
- Publishing Date – 26th October 2016
- Author – Simon Holywell (Australian Zend certified Senior Software Engineer)
- Official Link – https://www.functionalphp.com/
2. The Grumpy Programmer’s PHPUnit Cookbook
Let a grumpy programmer show you how to use PHPUnit’s testing tools to write useful and effective tests for your PHP code. PHPUnit is the most commonly-used unit testing framework for PHP developers. While it’s very powerful it also has a big learning curve.
- Buy Link – https://leanpub.com/grumpy-phpunit
- Price – $19 USD
- Author – Chris Hartjes
- Total Pages – 98
- Official Link – https://leanpub.com/grumpy-phpunit
3. Mastering Object Oriented PHP
Mastering Object Oriented PHP covers all the things you’ll need to know to apply the best object-oriented design techniques to your application. More than a thousand developers have upgraded their object-oriented development skills with Mastering Object Oriented PHP!
- Buy Link – http://www.masteringobjectorientedphp.com/
- Author – Brandon Savage
- Price – $39 USD (Electronic Format)
- Official Link – https://www.brandonsavage.net/books/
4. Modern PHP – New Features and Good Practices
PHP is experiencing a renaissance, though it may be difficult to tell with all of the outdated PHP tutorials online. With this practical guide, you’ll learn how PHP has become a full-featured, mature language with object-orientation, namespaces, and a growing collection of reusable component libraries.
- Buy Link – https://www.amazon.com/_/dp/1491905018?tag=oreilly20-20
- Author – Josh Lockhart
- Total Price – $25.99 USD (Paperback)
- Publishing Date – February 2015
- Total Pages – 270
- Official Link – http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033868.do
5. Modernizing Legacy Applications In PHP
This book will show you how to modernize your application by extracting and replacing its legacy artifacts. As you apply these incremental refactorings in order, each one building on the last, you will steadily transform your legacy PHP application from a spaghetti mess to an organized, modern, testable application, free of globals and mixed concerns.