Equifax Inc. is a consumer credit reporting agency in the United States, considered one of the three largest American credit agencies along with Experian and TransUnion. Equifax is the oldest of the three agencies and gathers and maintains information on over 800 million consumers and more than 88 million businesses worldwide.
The total population of United States was about 324 million in year 2017 and according to Census Bureau estimates, which means the Equifax incident affects a huge portion of the country i.e. approx 143 Million records has been hacked and published on Dark Web according to the reports.
The incident has happened in the month of June 2017, where company officials said – “Criminals exploited a U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files.”
Equifax said in a statement that the three executives sold a “small percentage” of their shares on Tuesday, August 1, and Wednesday, August 2, adding they had no knowledge that an intrusion had occurred at the time they sold their shares.
On September 7, 2017, Equifax announced a cyber security incident potentially impacting approximately 143 million U.S. consumers. Criminals exploited a U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files. The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers.
In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers, were accessed.
The company says – the investigation is still ongoing but that concerned Americans can visit a website, equifaxsecurity2017.com to determine if they’ve been impacted, file for credit monitoring, and keep up to date on news around the breach.
You may also like:
- 30,000 Sites is in RISK, The Plus Addons for Elementor WordPress Plugin Hacked
- Facebook Pay is rolling out in US – 2019 Update
- Top 25 Reddits – SubReddits Communities [Information Security]
- List of 100+ Cyber Security RSS Feeds
- Target’s Twitter Account Compromised – Posted Fake Promoted Ad [Bitcoin Scam]
- Familiar With SQL Injection Vulnerability – Meet Ihsan Sencan
- Microsoft + 33 Other Companies Join hands to fight Cyber Attacks – Cyber Security Tech Accord
- Twitter Compromised ! Change Your Password Right Now – May 2018
- Update your Mozilla Firefox Now – 31st January 2018 Update
- Dangerous Keylogger Found – Infecting over 2000 WordPress sites