1. What is the size of a sector on a hard disk?
C. 512 bytes
2. How many devices can exist in an IDE chain?
3. What physical component of the disk is responsible for reading and writing data on the disk?
D. Read/write head
4. How many wires can be found in an IDE ribbon cable for a hard disk?
5. Which of the following best describes seek time?
A. The time it takes to move the appropriate sector under the read/write head
B. The time it takes to move the read/write heads to the appropriate track
C. The time it takes to find a file that is being deleted
D. The time it takes to find an empty cluster to write to
6. In a SCSI chain, what devices are required to be terminated?
A. The first device in the chain
B. The last device in the chain
C. Devices at either end of the SCSI chain
D. Any hard disk in the SCSI chain
7. In a SCSI chain, what device should take a SCSI ID of zero?
B. The bootable (first) hard disk
C. The SCSI host adapter
Also read: How to choose a good computer monitor ?
8. In an IDE chain, CD-ROM devices are usually the _____________.
B. Terminated devices
C. Devices assigned ID zero
9. Which of the following describes the cabling for internal SCSI?
A. 40-wire ribbon cable
B. 34-wire ribbon cable
C. 50-wire ribbon cable
D. None of the above
10. Which of the following best describes where the Master Boot Record is located?
A. Last track on the disk
B. First track on the disk
C. First sector on the first track of the first side of the first platter
D. First sector on the last side of the last platter
11. Which of the following take the highest priority in a SCSI bus?
12. When should the SCSI host adapter have the BIOS enabled?
A. When the hard disk is the bootable device
B. When the hard disk is the first device in the chain, but the computer is booting off an IDE drive
C. When you have more than two devices in the chain
D. When the host adapter is assigned SCSI ID seven
13. In Windows NT 4.0, where do you install the driver for the SCSI host adapter?
A. Add/Remove Programs
B. Add/Remove Hardware
C. Add Printer
D. Control Panel?SCSI Adapters
14. What is disk latency?
A. The time it takes to move the read/write heads to the appropriate track
B. The speed at which the disk spins
C. The time it takes for the sector that needs to be read to move under the read/write head
D. The time it takes to get the disk to spin at the maximum speed
15. In a multi-drive system with two IDE devices, which hard disk controller will communicate with the CPU?
A. Both devices
B. The master device
C. The slave device
D. The second device in the chain
16. What is the term used to describe the same track on all platters within a disk?
17. How many surfaces does a platter have?
18. Each physical plate within the disk is termed a ______________.
19. Which of the following is not a type of SCSI device?
A. Hard disk
C. Network card
20. How many devices exist in an EIDE chain?
21. What is resolution on a monitor?
A. The number of dots within one square inch
B. The distance between two dots of the same color on a monitor
C. The number of pixels required to draw an image on a monitor
D. The number of pixels within one square inch
22. How many pixels are used in a resolution of 1024 × 768?
A. Depends on the image being drawn
D. Depends on the size of the monitor
23. What substance is on the back of a computer’s monitor screen?
C. Liquid crystal
24. What does an electron gun do?
A. Shoots electrons at a monitor to cause the screen to redraw
B. Regulates the amount of electricity into the monitor
C. Sets the amount of voltage based on the resolution
D. Shoots electrons out of the back of the monitor
25. What is a refresh rate?
A. The number of times a screen “flickers” within one minute
B. The number of times the electron gun redraws the screen
C. The frequency at which the images on the monitor change
D. The number of windows open on a computer monitor generates a higher refresh rate
26. What is dot pitch?
A. The number of pixels on a screen
B. The number of pixels within one square inch
C. The number of pixels for a given resolution on a 15-inch monitor
D. The distance between two dots of the same color on a monitor
27. What is the first step a technician should take when installing a video card?
A. Change the resolution of the monitor to match that of the card about to be installed
B. Power off the PC and remove all power cords
C. Uninstall the old video card drivers
D. Open the PC case’s cover
28. Which of the following is a modem capable of? (Select two)
A. Connecting a PC to a local network
B. Sending faxes
C. Acting as a fixed pager
D. Connecting to Internet service providers
29. What is primarily required to achieve 56K modem speed?
A. A modem capable of sending at 56K
B. A software package capable of sending at 56K
C. A cable modem
D. A modem on both ends of the connection that can send and receive at 56K
30. What type of transceivers do modems use?
31. What Windows 9x applet would allow a technician to add a modem manually?
A. System applet
C. Modems applet
32. How large could a partition of an IDE drive be?
33. What is integrated into an IDE drive?
A. The power source
B. The controller
C. The SCSI channel
D. The ribbon to the motherboard
34. How many EIDE drives can be in one computer?
35. What size pin does an internal SCSI hard drive use?
A. 36 pin
B. 15 pin
C. 32 pin
D. 50 pin
36. With what utility are partitions created within Windows 9x?
A. Windows Explorer
B. Device Manager
C. Disk Management
37. What two file systems are allowed for internal (fixed) hard drives in Windows 98?
38. What is an active partition?
A. A partition currently in use
B. A partition being created
C. A partition that an operating system can boot from
D. A partition that an operating system can write to
39. How many active partitions can Windows 98 support?
D. 7 – on a SCSI bus
40. How large can a FAT32 partition be?
A. 4 GB
B. 100 GB
C. 2 TB
D. 16 Exabytes
41. Which file system allows security to the file level?
42. Which backup type backs up only files that have changed since the last backup?
43. How many minutes of music can an audio CD hold?
44. Which technology is best suited for digital video cameras?
45. A docking station combines the portability of a laptop with the convenience of a ____________.
C. Full-sized keyboard